Disputes + Litigation
Disputes are an unfortunate but natural part of personal and business life. Someone owes you money. Someone is disrupting your business. Someone has breached an agreement. Or someone has a problem with you.
Disputes come in all sizes and forms. And they are a drain on your business, resources, time and money.
At Johnston Legal + Advisory we represent and advise companies, associations and individuals in State and Federal tribunals and Court proceedings. We pursue and defend claims in all jurisdictions. We negotiate and resolve significant disputes in and out of court. We manage and protect risk and reputation and keep our client’s big picture in mind.
In dealing with matters, we get to the root of your dispute quickly, by identifying your rights and liabilities, objectives and potential resolutions. Disputes can be resolved with a tailored strategy, common sense and proper application of the law to the facts. Litigation is not a game but a last resort. No lawyer’s letters for the sake of it.
But if necessary, we will expertly help you litigate. We have done this for some of the biggest commercial and sports names in Australia. Johnston Legal + Advisory has also established relationships with larger law firms, barristers and litigation funders in Adelaide and Sydney for larger litigation.
We have acted for:
- National fashion retailer in building defects dispute (Supreme Court, SA, 2017)
- Director and shareholder in company shareholder oppression dispute (SA, 2017)
- National furniture retailer in commercial leasing dispute (District Court, SA, 2017)
- Director of listed energy company in $60m shareholder class action (regarding alleged breaches of disclosure provisions in Corporations Act and director’s duties) (Federal Court, NSW, 2016);
- Listed company in $6m misleading and deceptive conduct claim arising from business acquisition (Supreme Court, NSW, 2016);
- National political party on constitutional implied freedom of political communication (regarding election signs and council by-laws), advising on process for endorsement of Senate ticket for Federal election and advising on issues concerning NSW Electoral Commission and funding and general branch disputes (NSW, 2012 - 2016);
- International energy drink company in urgent injunctive proceedings concerning competing sponsorship of a V8 Supercar driver (Supreme Court, NSW, 2015);
- Listed telco company in District Court proceedings regarding supply and logistics (District Court, NSW, 2014)
- Listed mining company in High Court proceedings concerning the interpretation of a litigation funding agreement as a financial service (High Court, ACT, 2012)